Subject: Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

From: Daniel Karrenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:30:39 +0200

My objective when talking to reporters who write for the *business*
section is to project that mere awareness is not good enough anymore for
businesses; businesses need to have a plan.  For you all on this list
this should help the next time you talk to the suits who decide about
strategy and investments ...
independently of which particular strategy you are going to recommend.

The non-technical press always simplifies and exaggerates; this is a
fact of life.  I am sure all of us evaluate news stories based on the
source.  It is fine if you say to the suits "this is exaggerated, let's
......", just make the right recommendation or decision. ;-)   

This reporter did a very reasonable job considering the space he 
has to operate in. And no I am not going to ask them to rectify
the technical inaccuracies that crept in. This is besides the main
point to the intended audience.

Daniel Karrenberg
Chief Scientist 
RIPE NCC

PS: Note that I just re-subscribed to this list in order to react.  
I had left it because I do not currently have any work in the IETF and 
I stay away as long as I have no work here; I will visit in Maastricht
though since it is 30 mins down the road from my home and a nice place
to be in general. 

PPS: Recommendations: Brussels airport is closer than Amsterdam by high
speed train.  Rent a bicycle in Maastricht.  Get out of the conference
centre and meeting hotel!  If you are not cycling you can walk to
downtown or take the buses that leave about every 10 minutes during the
day.  Keep your passport with you, the city borders on Belgium in the
west and you may be there before you know it.  Aachen in Germany is
close by, by public bus, worth the trip. 

Daniel