Subject: Vancouver meeting fees

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:13:49 +0200

The community was told at the IETF 69 Wednesday Evening Plenary  
Session to expect a meeting fee increase for IETF 70 in Vancouver.    
The purpose of this message it to advise you of the amount of the  
increase and provide the reasons for the increase.
We are into September, which means two-thirds of 2007 is now behind  
us. We know what our IETF expenses have been year-to-date, and we   
can project our expenses for the rest of 2007.  We also know that our  
meeting revenue for the first two meetings have been below   
expectation as a result of attendance averaging one hundred fewer  
attendees per meeting than anticipated.  With this information, we   
can see that the operations will incur a shortfall of more than $200K  
if we do not take actions for the Vancouver meeting.
Accordingly, the IAOC will increase the IETF meeting fee for the  
Vancouver meeting by $100.  By taking this action, our deficit for   
all of 2007 should be reduced by almost half.
To address the remaining deficit, we will continue to work with the   
Internet Society staff in their efforts to attract additional host   
and sponsorship support for the Vancouver meeting and to reduce   
expenses wherever possible without impacting the meeting and   
experience of the attendees.  To date, we have received generous   
contributions from Microsoft and Telus, which are appreciated, but   
are not enough to make Vancouver a fully hosted meeting.
With respect to what happens in 2008, please note that the IAOC has   
not made any decisions yet about meeting fees for next year, but we   
will be actively evaluating the cost of delivering essential   
services,  looking at new approaches to raise additional revenue,   
and taking another look  at future meeting locations with the goal of  
increasing meeting attendance.
More financial information is available at: http://iaoc.ietf.org/  
budget.html. In particular see Budget Overview and Year End Forecast.

As a final point of information, please be advised that  registration  
for the Vancouver meeting will begin this week.

Kurtis Lindqvist
IAOC Chair

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf