Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib (Multicast Group Membership Discovery MIB) to Proposed Standard

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:14:03 +0200

I've had a quick read through the draft and think I found some issues.
The last one is possibly me just revealing my lack of MIB clue though.

For all definitions using the InetAddress and InetAddressType syntaxes
a size of 4|16 is specified. This is of course only correct for the
former syntax.

For mgmdHostInterfaceQuerier it should perhaps be specified what it
should be when there is no known querier?

Regarding mgmdHostCacheLastReporter. Not sure what this should be for a
host. The draft says:

             "The IP address of the source of the last membership report
             received for this IP Multicast group address on this
             interface.  If no membership report has been received, this
             object has a value of 0. The InetAddressType, e.g.
             IPv4 or IPv6, is identified by the mgmdHostCacheAddressType
             variable in the mgmdHostCache table."

This sounds reasonable for a router, but not so sure about a host.
Depending on what versions of IGMP/MLD it might be that a host sees a
report from another host, is that what this is for? I don't think hosts
are supposed to track this though.

Then I found something I've never seen before, but I'm a MIB novice. It
says:

MgmdRouterInverseCacheEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
     mgmdRouterInterfaceIfIndex            InterfaceIndex,
     mgmdRouterCacheAddressType            InetAddressType,
     mgmdRouterCacheAddress                InetAddress
}

(well, there is also the index definition prior to this). Is this kind
of referencing really ok? Is it implicit that these are
{ MgmdRouterInverseCacheEntry 1}
{ MgmdRouterInverseCacheEntry 2}
{ MgmdRouterInverseCacheEntry 3}
?

There might be something fundamental I don't know about MIBs here.

Stig

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf