Subject: RE: IPv6 will never fly: ARIN continues to kill it

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:52:22 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>

    >> Without PI, the enterprises say no, and with PI, the ISP's say no.
    >> Got it.

    > I believe that a more constructive assessment is that enterprises are
    > unwilling to pay non-trivial costs to renumber, and ISPs are
    > unwilling to pay non-trivial costs to support a non-scalable routing
    > subsystem.

Tony, your version is more diplomatic, and quite correct, but the bottom
line is exactly the pithy, blunt version I gave.

    > From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>

    > if i were the CIO of any of those companies, i'd say "PI or NAT,
    > exclusively"

It's really unfortunate that we still have an architecture where these are
the only two choices to respond to the situation you have portrayed, with
lock-in (which I agree is not acceptable). However....

    > From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>

    > ID/LOC has been discussed for 11 years and canned several times.

Yes, unfortunately - see previous two comments.

    > From: "Fleischman, Eric" <[email-masked]>

    > possible technical solutions to this problem are currently being
    > considered in the RRG / RAM discussions?

It's unfortunate that only now are solutions to the Hobson's choice
portrayed in the first two comments being seriously explored. Alas, it
looks like the solution will involve a major kludge, in order to provide
the second namespace that wasn't there (and should have been, all along).
In other words, IPv6 is already obsolete, before it's even deployed.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:06:05 +0000

sorry to add more chaff, i know i'm over quota for the day, but...

> In other words, IPv6 is already obsolete, before it's even deployed.

do you mean that IPv6 was "too little, too soon" ?