Subject: ideas getting shot down, ULA-C, etc. -- please move to the right list

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:29:07 +0200

All,

First, I would like ask people to move the ULA-C discussion off
the IETF main list. We have a chartered working group (IPv6;
to change to 6MAN in the next couple of days) that has an
official work item to look at ULA-C. The best way to progress
the topic is to participate that WG's effort. Here's the list:

   https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6

Second, where are we with ULA-C? It should be obvious
from this and other discussions that we are very far from
consensus. But that does not mean that we are
giving up on the task! I think most people agree that
ULA-Cs have potentially very useful properties. The question
is whether we can make them happen, and whether the
advertised benefits can actually be realized.

Here's the plan for moving forward:

1) Write a document about the benefits and difficulties
    relating to ULA-Cs.

    This helps us avoid repeating the same arguments
    in e-mail, and making it easier for us to decide
    what the right path forward is.

2) Write an updated/new proposed solution draft.
    The proponents of ULA-C are not happy with the
    current document, so a new one is needed. Again,
    its better to have something in writing so that
    we can all look at it.

3) Further discussion on the 6MAN list.

Please make these steps happen. If you have cycles please
volunteer to help with documents etc to the IPv6 chairs.

I would also like to take the opportunity to state that we do
need to be very careful about interpreting the opinion of the
IETF. We should not and we do not "shoot ideas down" through
the opinion of a few loud participants. But at the same time,
if most of us think an idea is bad, the IETF needs to be able to
say no. Finally, it is important to distinguish lack of interest
and active opposition; generally we should allow consenting
adults to do what they want, unless we believe the Internet
will be hurt somehow by this.

Jari Arkko
INT AD

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf