Subject: Seeking ICANN Nomcom 2008 candidate

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 15:59:28 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the IETF, the IAB has to deliver one of the 17 voting  
members to the ICANN Nomcom for 2008.

Now that the selections from the 2007 ICANN Nomcom have been  
announced [1] we would like to ask the community for volunteers to  
serve on the 2008 ICANN Nomcom. The IAB invites volunteers to reply  
within 10 days, as that allows participation in the first meeting in  
early November (see below). If you are interested, please send us a  
short e-mail with your motivation and information concerning your  
familiarity with the IETF and ICANN.

Some considerations:

The IAB will select from the available candidates, taking into  
account the candidates' familiarity with both ICANN's and IETF's role  
and processes. The selected candidate will serve on the ICANN Nomcom  
on personal title; however, we will be looking for a candidate who  
has an understanding of the interests of the technical community.

Nominating Committees have historically held two face-to-face  
meetings. The ICANN Nomcom's first organizational meeting will be  
held alongside the Los Angeles ICANN meeting in early November 2007.

The Nomcom process itself is governed by the ICANN bylaws; an  
abstract of the relevant articles can be found at http:// 
nomcom.icann.org/bylaws.htm. In addition, each Nomcom determines a  
number of its own operational procedures, including the role of the  
Nomcom in recruiting and selecting candidates. Therefore, the ability  
to participate in the November meeting would be beneficial, albeit  
not strictly necessary.

The only other travel required is to an all-hands retreat held after  
the paper screening of all candidates. Much of the work is done via  
email and conference calls, and the bulk of the screening is done in  
small groups based around time zones. The early process may only  
require one or two phone calls a month. Once the candidate packages  
are in hand, there is a much more intense period of weekly phone  
calls, reference checking, off-line reading, and ranking (via on-line  
polls). This culminates in the all-hands (3 day) retreat, where  
selections are made. The follow up period is mostly email traffic and  
a couple of phone calls related to due diligence.

NOTE: ICANN does cover travel costs.

We hope this provides a sufficient picture, and we welcome e-mail  
from potential candidates. If there are suitable candidates, the IAB  
will make a decision by mid-October.

On behalf of the IAB, Kind regards,

Olaf Kolkman.

[1] http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-25sep07.htm

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf