Subject: SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c to HISTORIC

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:20:04 -0800 (PST)

Folks who scan only the titles of last call announcements might
want to note that the the actions proposed below will not only
elevate SNMPv3 to Standard but will also reclassify SNMPv1 and
SNMPv2c as Historic.

//cmh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:51:52 -0500
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce:  ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Last Call: An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks
    to Standard

The IESG has received a request from the SNMP Version 3 Working Group
to consider publication of the following Internet-Drafts as Standards:

  o An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks
    <draft-ietf-snmpv3-arch-v2-02.txt> as a Standard.

  o Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network Management
    Protocol (SNMP) <draft-ietf-snmpv3-mpd-v2-02.txt>

  o SNMP Applications <draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-v3-01.txt>

  o User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of the Simple Network
    Management Protocol (SNMPv3)
    <draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-v2-rfc2574bis-01.txt>

  o View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple Network
    Management Protocol (SNMP) <draft-ietf-snmpv3-vacm-v2-01.txt>

These are editorial updates to RFCs 2571-2575 respectfully. 

As part of this action, RFC1157 (A Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP))
and RFC1901 (Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2) will be reclassified
as Historic.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by January 31, 2002.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-arch-v2-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-mpd-v2-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-appl-v3-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-usm-v2-rfc2574bis-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-vacm-v2-01.txt