Subject: Bandwidth? BANDWIDTH. We don't need no stinking bandwidth... we gots labels and a fancy RSVP to fix us up!

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:38:35 -0500

[email-masked] asks in jest:
>>Of course its true: "no amount of QOS can generate any additional bandwidth"
>But is the converse also true?

Seriously though I say:

Huh? If its free... QoS = not having QoS because everybody's app will ask
for it.

If there is a tarriffed QoS service every process will say it has bandwidth
even if it doesn't, so as to not turn away business.

I think its a very messy thing in the real world. I think that MPLS might be
closer to the mark.

I guess I don't know enough about it.

You know since certain ports are assoc with certain things like SIP and
H.323 etc its possible to implement differential service catagories without
inventing anything new. If your firewall is so clumsy it can't stay on the
right ports, it *should* punish the site!

I bet some really savvy big in company IP clouds do this already. 

regs
Dan