Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

From: "Kyle Lussier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:48:46 -0800

> Think again. 

As I said, bad vendors *will* do this.

We need to design into the application that they opt out on 
these rights in order to use the trademark.  Disclaimer of
any and all liability related to it.

There are other scenarios to worry about also.  But if you
yank these rights at the application process, then it's fair.

Ultimately, it's about trust.  I trust the IETF to be fair
to the industry as a whole.

Just stuff away 50% of the application fees into a mutual fund 
for a trademark legal defense fund.

The legal challenge issue is a very serious one, but it is fully
manageable.  If you are smart enough to think of what a badly
behaving vendor can do, just add it to the application, and opt
them out of that right.

Kyle Lussier
AutoNOC LLC

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:58:30 -0800

>We need to design into the application that they opt out on

We?

You mean someone with the time and inclination to do the work of forming 
this effort, getting it funded, recruiting community support, operating it, 
etc?

As I said, the IETF has the resources to wish such an effort the best of 
luck.  It does not have the resources, style or inclination to do the task 
itself.

d?

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464