Subject: one copy sent to list but THREE returned

From: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:11:21 -0500

I sent but a single copy of 'empowering' to the list.  It returned 
THREE to me.  If everyone else got 3, my apologies.  If anyone can 
inform me as to what happened i'd appreciate it.
-- 
========================================================
The COOK Report on Internet, 431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA (609)
882-2572 (phone & fax) [email-masked]  Subscription info & 
prices at   http://cookreport.com/subscriptions.shtml    Summary of 
content for 10 years at http://cookreport.com/past_issues.shtml 
Empowering the Customer  or Empowering the
Telco?  Information on just published 458 page report at 
http://cookreport.com/empowering.shtml
========================================================

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 17:53:25 -0800

>inform me as to what happened i'd appreciate it.

Er, a better question is why you spammed the IETF list at all.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: "Timothy J. Salo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 20:36:08 -0600 (CST)

> To: Gordon Cook <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: one copy sent to list but THREE returned
> 

Oh, please.  Compared to what?  Megabytes of viruses?  Long discussions
about whether viruses should be filtered from the IETF mail list?
Long discussions about whether IETF mail lists should accept e-mail
only from subscribers?  Repeated tirades against address translation?

While Gordon is regularly fairly confused, he sometimes does provide
a few interesting tidbits in his infrequent postings.  The information
content of his postings probably ranks at least average for IETF postings
(I am sorry to say).

It seems to me that Gordon's postings are the least of the challenges
faced by the IETF mail list.

-tjs

---

From: Christopher Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:23:21 -0800

Enginneering and computer science disipline are a joke. It seems ppl in
these feilds all about ego and no documentation or worse terse confusing 
documentation. (eg rfcs)  cut the crap and do something usefull. 

And yes, I am not helping here..

---

From: Alex Audu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:50:22 -0600

I loved Gordon's post.  I thought it was very interesting to see how the
Telecommunications industry is self
destructing,..and how things (including a lot of jobs) could be saved if
we acted on time.

Regards,
Alex.

---

From: Michael Hammer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:19:16 -0500

I've heard the pre-mature announcements of the death of the
ILECs before.  Where in the analysis did it address the monthly
subscription revenue, whether one makes a phone call or not?  They
are taking in US$ billions each month.

Mike

At 11:50 AM 1/7/2002 -0600, Alex Audu wrote:

I loved Gordon's post.  I thought it was
very interesting to see how the

destructing,..and how things (including a lot of jobs) could be saved
if

we acted on time.

Regards,

Alex.

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:52:48 -0800

>a few interesting tidbits in his infrequent postings.  The information

The basic rule about making rules for these sorts of situations is that 
they need to be easy and quick to enforce.  In other words, objective and 
mechanical.

You appear to want a rule that says acceptability is based on whether there 
is consensus that people like the posting.  That makes for a rule that is 
difficult and slow to enforce.

The existing IETF rule prohibits commercial postings.

Gordon's announcement pertains to a commercial newsletter.  If you want the 
announcements, sign up for his list, as many others have.

Disliking the other content on the IETF list does not warrant permitting 
postings that violate formal acceptable use policies.

d/

----------
Dave Crocker  <mailto:[email-masked]>
Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464