Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:13:12 -0700 (MST)

> From: grenville armitage <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]

> > I'm sure many companies would bid to be the one to distribute or revoke
> > "IETF certified" trademarks. They would come up with a fair and open
> > certification process...
>
> Can we suspend this thread until these 'many companies' step forward
> with their proposed fair and open certification (and *de*-certification)
> processes?

And a hint of a fee schedule that is not an incredibly silly joke.

$100/product is almost as dangerously naive as someone in GA who is
clearly not a lawyer saying "The legal challenge issue is a very
serious one, but it is fully manageable" in apparent ignorance of the
fact that in some jurisdictions non-lawyers are put in jail for
rendering such legal opinions.  It is all about as interesting as
another recent arrival's descriptions of how "we" talked about the
Internet in cafeterias in the old days before it really existed.

What these people are missing (or perhaps not) is that if they want
a certificate for their software, they need only apply to Microsoft.
Instead of trying to get the IETF to change into a cross between the
ITU and Microsoft, they should just call Redmond and ensure that
Microsoft includes compliance with MS-MIME, MS-PPP, MS-HTTP, and the
other MS network standards along with the MS-GUI, look-and-feel,
(un)installation, and other features.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Ed Gerck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:28:10 -0800

Vernon Schryver wrote:

> ...
> It is all about as interesting as

Since I made that comment... yes, that is what we (maybe not you) did
back in 1992 when I started to notice and use the Internet.  That's only
10 years ago.  I guess hindsight is always 20/20, but the idea of
self-regulation needs IMO a grain of salt.  At least, we could have
public non-conformance notes.

But, heaven forbid, no "certified trademark" program.  Have we
all forgotten S/MIME??

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:52:40 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Ed Gerck wrote:

> 10 years ago.

http://www.planetpdf.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=1841

 Great, Bernd. Don't forget the papers I gave to you;
 Camelot was written in 1991, and you should tell your readers that
 this was before the Internet and all these things. And you should
 tell them that I had the right idea ten years ago.

   -- John Warnock, former Adobe CEO, on the origins of pdf...
      Adobe later invents eBook security before encryption.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>