Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:17:28 +1200

You forgot that the ISOC funds the IETF, and currently the ISOC has
financial difficulties and that its priority is to fund the IETF, which I
fully support. 

Most of the membership money from ISOC is directed towards the IETF by the
organisation members.I do not know what is the amount here, but I suspect
that all platinum and gold members pay to fund IETF at USD100,000 or
USD50,000 a year. I think there is already a USD1-2M fund towards the
IETF...

A light trademark conformance program as Kyle is proposing would allow ISOC
to focus on other issues than funding the IETF, and therefore trully work on
their "Internet is for Everyone" vision. May I remind that ISOC has only
8000 inviduals members.

Kyle, I think the solution to the problem is to bring the problem to the
next ISOC meeting (inet2002) and especially to the IAB. This discussion
involves more people than the IETF only. You have to leave the IETF do what
it does best: work on standards. But the IETF needs to agree that such
trademark system could be implemented by the parent organisation: ISOC.

IAB meetings and ISOC board meetings are very interesting. Kyle, attend one
of them in June www.isoc.org/inet2002/

May be all people interested by the subject should meet there, discuss, and
act.

Check www.isoc.org

Franck Martin
Network and Database Development Officer
SOPAC South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission
Fiji
E-mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Web site: http://www.sopac.org/
<http://www.sopac.org/> Support FMaps: http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/
<http://fmaps.sourceforge.net/> 

This e-mail is intended for its addresses only. Do not forward this e-mail
without approval. The views expressed in this e-mail may not be necessarily
the views of SOPAC.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Deutsch [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2002 8:20 
To: [email-masked]
Cc: grenville armitage; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: IP: Microsoft breaks Mime specification

g'day,

But the biggest problem here is that you've just created a $10M annual
cashflow
for the IETF to manage. This would be a massive infusion of cash for an
entity
that today runs on cookies and good will. Do you really think that you can
put
$10M (or gosh forbid, $10M *a year*) into a bank account without it starting
to
attract attention? History tells us it would immediately generate its own
infrastructure to consume it (have you looked over at the DNS world
recently?)

				- peterd

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:28:53 -0500

I think any attempt to get the IETF to do certification is doomed to
embarrassment and failure of one form or another (quick, or slow and
painful).  However, the ISOC just might be interested and able to pull
it off.