Subject: Bandwidth? BANDWIDTH! We do (maybe) need more stinking bandwidth

From: [email-masked] (Dan Kolis)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:48:40 -0500

Seemingly of interest specifically to:
  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]

>> At 08:57 PM 1/21/2002 -0800, Lixia Zhang wrote:
>>> Note I am not saying MPLS is the right solution for the problem.
>>> To me the right solution to the above mentioned problem should be a
>>> multi-path routing protocol.

Dan K says:
Whether its MPLS and/or QoS or something else it occurs to me intrinsically
every extra byte that's not payload also is overhead. That's not saying its
not worth doing, just that it has a cost.

Also, Cisco et al are going to do some forklift upgrades here and there, and
there are admin costs (eg. testing) to making something new work on a
planetary scale.

(1) There should be a model thats like a spanning tree model, weighted for
any axis of freedom to make a completely deterministic solution to network
routing given different flavors or quality.

I worry though it might be a parellel to the bridge of Konigsburg problem.
Which either has no deterministic solution; (I can't understand why), or is
NP complete. Either is equally bad for a network with  a billion people on it!

http://thesaurus.maths.org/dictionary/map/word/835

Its right to the philosophy of packet switching versus circuit switching. If
you book every hop and its mostly invariant, you just built a circuit
switched system from a packet one.

No body is going to *stop* anyone from doing that, but its driven by
different goals.

For instance, if in 2015 bandwidth went up 100 fold per user, would all the
QoS/RSVP etc just be overhead and get turned off? This wouldn't be so bad of
a thing.

It occurs to me its pretty complex to say the least. for instance is it
ethical to test a path from an application, yet ask for a RSVP circuit as a
backup in case congestion kills the higher bandwidth, less certain path? If
so its important the reservation processes have virtually no overhead if not
used. Seems like a hard goal.

Some infinite spanning process crawling Internet to discover paths and sort
of allocate them, that a piggy thing for sure!

And regarding tarriffed value added services, very un-internet like indeed.

Regards to all!

Regarding (1) seems like a component of that potential NSF process?