Subject: Fwd: [Tools-discuss] Allowing xml2rfc to generate text documents with page numbers

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 13:06:51 -0600

Please note the following - any discussion should occur on 
[email-masked].

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[Tools-discuss] Allowing xml2rfc to generate text documents 
with page numbers
Date: 	Fri, 11 Dec 2020 13:02:24 -0600
From: 	Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
To: 	tools-discuss <[email-masked]>

The RFCs that define the format specifications for RFCs are clear that 
the published rendered text format for RFCs will not have page numbers.

However, we have received many requests to allow the rendering tool to 
add those numbers when people are rendering documents locally for their 
own purposes. Adding and maintaining support for that is trivial, and we 
plan to make that available via a command-line argument in an upcoming 
release of xml2rfc.

This isn't a change to how RFCs will be published - published RFCs will 
continue to follow the format requirements from RFC 7994 and the 
discussions around the revision of the documents defining the RFC 
formats. Those wishing to change how RFCs are published should 
contribute to future efforts revising those specifications.

In general, the formatters will be able to produce a superset of what is 
required for RFC publication, and we anticipate that new capabilities 
will be added when there is appropriate demand.

We acknowledge the concerns around the potential for confusion raised 
during the discussion of the request for this capability. However, we 
note that it is possible to generate a document with the current tools 
that looks like a published RFC with completely different content. 
Addressing this potential for confusion is not an issue to solve with 
the formatting tools.

Robert Sparks, Tools Team Chair

___________________________________________________________
Tools-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss

Please report datatracker.ietf.org and mailarchive.ietf.org
bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
or send email to [email-masked]

Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at
http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues
or send email to [email-masked]