Subject: RZERC Draft Documents For Review

From: "Tim April" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 15:49:06 -0500

Hello IETF,

I wanted to provide a quick update on the work going on in the RZERC. We 
have been discussing and iterating on the two documents attached and we 
have reached the point where we would like to gather feedback from the 
various constituencies represented in the RZERC. As your local member, I 
will be collecting any feedback on the documents ahead of our next 
meeting on the 19th of January. If possible, please provide any feedback 
here or directly to me the 15th of January.

Document 1: Recommendations Regarding Signing Root Zone Name Server Data 
- This document outlines the benefits and potential concerns related to 
signing the root-servers.net zone. It recommends that the ICANN org 
conduct studies into the impact that signing the root-servers.net zone 
might have.

Document 2: Adding Zone Data Protections to the Root Zone - This 
document discusses recommends that the Root Server Operators, Public 
Technical Identifiers and the Root Zone Maintainer do the necessary work 
to create a plan for deploying 
[ZONEMD](https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest/), 
ensuring that it would not negatively impact the distribution of the 
zone data to the Root Server System. It also recommends that the DNS and 
Internet community be notified of the changes all under the assumption 
that draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-zone-digest becomes an RFC.

Again, if you have any comments or feedback on the documents, please 
provide them be January 15th.

--tim