Subject: RE: Standards needed for "going remote" -- BOF?

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 18:00:28 -0700

I sent this idea a while back, but I wonder if this might be a BOF topic?

Modified based feedback
:
I spent a little time collecting experiences of people trying to
convert in-person activities to remote using the internet.  A common
experience for many in the teacher/leader role is how to help their
students/employees/members with their Internet connections.

How can the IETF help?

What standards are there already, or should be developed in IETF 
(if not, then where?)

 * "What is needed in order to do X remotely"
     Where "X" fits a small number of consumer categories ('office work"
     "watch HD movies" "document collaboration" "voice meeting" "video
    meeting" ) In terms of bandwidth, latency, jitter, dropout rate,
    etc. (as might be spec'd in a SLA)

Such that it would be possible to build
* an open-source test tool or reference implementation
      that is available for popular platforms
     (windows, mac, linux, ios, android) or run in the browser

That one could download and run that would tell you Whether your
connection met the standard for various categories.

* An aspirational goal, to include useful hints / diagnostics / data
   about what you could do to improve (e.g. detect bufferbloat)
  or policy problems
 (such: "violates personal firewall policy X", "violates corporate security
policy
 Y",  "requires more bandwidth than policy allows",  "attempts to connect to
 sites/countries banned by policy")

* should be usable as a metric for use in broadband access plans for
universal access
> 
>     > Some Internet games have meters, there's speedtest which is mostly
>     > "bandwidth" There are some kinds of uses that need guaranteed low
>     > latency

There are standards for video quality (ITU J-341 and Netflix VMAF

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 16:18:19 -0700

> I sent this idea a while back, but I wonder if this might be a BOF topic?

If there's to be a BoF, there need to be proponents to push for the work,
and most likely some I-Ds to clarify the type of thing you have in mind.

-Ben