Subject: Standards needed for "going remote"

From: Larry Masinter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 12:50:26 -0700

I've spent a little time collecting experiences of people trying to convert
in-person activities to remote using the internet.
A common experience for many in the teacher/leader role is how to help their
students/employees/members with their Internet connections.

What standards are there already, or should be developed in IETF or W3C or
...

* "What is needed in order to do X remotely"

Where "X" fits a small number of consumer categories ('office work" "watch
HD movies" "document collaboration" "voice meeting" "video meeting") In
terms of bandwidth, latency, jitter, dropout rate, etc. (as might be spec'd
in a SLA)

* an open-source test tool that is available for popular platforms (windows,
mac, linux, ios, android) or run in the browser
 
That one could download and run that would tell you
  Whether your connection met the standard for various categories
  
* An aspirational goal, to include
  useful hints / diagnostics / data about what you could do to improve
  (e.g. detect bufferbloat)

* as a metric for use in broadband access plans for universal access

Some Internet games have meters, there's speedtest which is mostly
"bandwidth" 
There are some kinds of uses that need  guaranteed low latency
--
https://LarryMasinter.net
 https://going-remote.info

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 16:36:47 -0400

Larry Masinter <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I've spent a little time collecting experiences of people trying to
    > convert in-person activities to remote using the internet.  A common
    > experience for many in the teacher/leader role is how to help their

This is a good idea.

    > What standards are there already, or should be developed in IETF or W3C
    > or ....

    > Where "X" fits a small number of consumer categories ('office work"
    > "watch HD movies" "document collaboration" "voice meeting" "video
    > meeting") In terms of bandwidth, latency, jitter, dropout rate,
    > etc. (as might be spec'd in a SLA)

    > * an open-source test tool that is available for popular platforms
    > (windows, mac, linux, ios, android) or run in the browser

    > That one could download and run that would tell you Whether your
    > connection met the standard for various categories

I don't think that this the right way to do this.
Instead, I suggest that we create a privacy-enhanced format and mechanism
(protocol to /.well-known perhaps) to report all this information.

Of course, you probably want open source reference implementations, but
the key here is that you want OS vendors to implement this reporting utility
themselves, such that they can report why the service couldn't not be done.

(such: "violates personal firewall policy X", "violates corporate security policy Y",
 "requires more bandwidth than policy allows",  "attempts to connect to
 sites/countries banned by policy")

    > * An aspirational goal, to include useful hints / diagnostics / data
    > about what you could do to improve (e.g. detect bufferbloat)

    > "bandwidth" There are some kinds of uses that need guaranteed low
    > latency

and you may have read that dslreports' speedtest is no longer available for
free.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-