Subject: [Sip-implementors] Clarification Required on section 7.4 RFC 3966

From: Ambrish Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 12:08:01 +0530

Hi All,

We read the RFC 3966 and understood that the global number should be
prefixed with “+” and if it is not prefixed with “+” then it is considered
to be a local number and a phone-context is a MUST.

But the section 7.4 is a bit confusing to the ABNF syntax of global number.

Does it mean that, if the user dials “00” prefix as an example
(“00919840012345”) and it reaches the server without a phone-context, do we
still need to consider it as a global number in the server side..?

If we consider that way, the ABNF syntax is contradicting.

Kindly clarify the section 7.4 RFC 3966:

7.4.  Do Not Confuse Numbers with How They Are Dialed

   As an example, in many countries the E.164 number "+1-212-555-3141"
   will be dialed  as 00-1-212-555-3141, where the leading "00" is a
   prefix for international calls.  (In general, a "+" symbol in E.164
   indicates that an international prefix is required.)

Regards,

Ambrish