Subject: Re: New Non-WG Mailing List: Slim -- Selection of Language for Internet Media

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:22:04 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi -

How is this related to the work of the old ltru working group?

Randy

-----Original Message-----
>From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Nov 10, 2014 6:04 PM
>To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>
>Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: Slim -- Selection of Language for Internet Media
>
>A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.
>
>List address: [email-masked]
>Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/slim/
>To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/slim
>
>Purpose:
>
>A mutually comprehensible language is helpful for human communication. 
>This is true across a range of circumstances and environments. In 
>general, the problem is most acute in situations where there is not a 
>clear choice for a single language, such as environments lacking 
>contextual or out-of-band information regarding the identity of the 
>parties and the language to be used. 
>
>This list is for discussion of mechanisms to present and select human 
>language options for Internet applications. Initial drafts address 
>two specific cases that most urgently need a technical solution: One 
>problem space is non-real-time communication, specifically email for 
>one-to-many or where the set of recipients is dynamic or different 
>recipients require different languages; the other is real-time 
>communication, especially emergency calling, and also including other 
>cases where the parties may not know each other personally or where 
>one party wishes to accommodate people with varying language and media 
>needs. Especially for real-time communication, language and media are 
>intrinsically linked, for example, signed languages require a video 
>media.
>
>For additional information, please contact the list administrators.
>