Subject: Personal note re: an IPR disclosure

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:44:27 -1000

Folks,

You are about to see an IPR disclosure that lists me as the "IETF 
Participant Whose Personal Belief Triggered this Disclosure" on RFC 
6726, a document which has another Qualcomm employee as a co-author. I 
wanted to provide a public explanation of what appears to be a *very* 
late disclosure. Neither I, nor the co-author of RFC 6726, were 
previously aware of the patent identified in this disclosure. While 
recently reviewing the patent for other reasons, another Qualcomm 
engineer, who is not an IETF participant but happened to be familiar 
with FLUTE, realized that the patent might cover the technology. Upon 
reviewing the RFC, we decided that the right thing to do would be to 
disclose. Since the engineer in question is not an IETF participant, I 
chose to put my name on the disclosure. Had either the co-author of the 
RFC or I been aware of the patent prior to this time, we would have 
disclosed then.

Nobody is ever thrilled when there are late disclosures, but we all 
still want disclosures made as soon as reasonably possible once IPR of 
this sort is discovered.

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478