Subject: RFC Editor Digital Object Identifiers Project

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:48:01 -0700

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC), on behalf of the RFC Editor, announces this 
Request for Proposals to assign digital object identifiers to RFCs  The successful 
bidder will enter into a contract with the Internet Society.

The RFC Editor intends to assign a Digital Object Identifier (DOI) to each RFC in the series.  Assigning 
DOIs entails extracting information from the series to date to be used as input to a bulk registration for 
existing RFCs, and changes to the production system to automatically acquire and incorporate DOIs into 
future RFCs.

The Digital Object Identifier (DOI) is a widely used system that assigns unique identifiers to digital 
documents that can be queried and managed in a consistent fashion.  The structure of DOIs is defined 
by ISO 26324:2012 [ISO-DOI] and is implemented by a group of registration agencies coordinated by 
the International DOI Foundation.  Each DOI is associated with bibliographic metadata about the object, 
including one or more URIs where the object can be found.  DOIs would make RFCs easier to cite.  The 
benefits of DOIs apply equally to documents from all of the RFC submission streams, so all RFCs would 
get DOIs.

The RFP can be found at: <https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html>.

Proposals must be received via email at [email-masked] no later than November 26, 2014.  All 
questions, inquiries must be submitted by November 7, 2014.  Responses to questions and inquiries 
shall be posted online at:  <https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html> by November 13, 2014. 

The point of contact regarding this RFP is the IETF Administrative Director, Ray Pelletier, [email-masked].

Ray Pelletier
IAD