Subject: Re: I-D Action: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-09.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 08:46:32 +1300

Hi,

This paragraph has been considerably changed:

>    In particular, working groups will sometimes write in policies such
>    as Standards Action when they develop documents.  Later, someone will
>    come to the working group (or to the relevant community, if the
>    working group has since closed) with a simple request to register a
>    new item, and will be met with a feeling that it's not worth doing a
>    Standards-Track RFC for something so trivial.  In such cases, it was
>    a mistake for the working group to have set the bar that high.

I object strongly to the last sentence. The fact that a person feels
it isn't worth the trouble to develop a standards-track document for
their new idea does not imply that the WG was wrong. It may equally
be true that the "simple request" is not simple at all in its
consequences, and absolutely does require standards action, and the WG
made no mistake whatever. Please see RFC 6709 for a full discussion.

   Brian

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:10:42 -0500

Brian, that's a good point.  I changed that text to address Paul
Kyzivat's comments, and I may have been too strong in that.  I could:

1. Change it to "It may have been a mistake".

2. Remove that last sentence entirely.

3. Replace the sentence with something else that I'm happy to have you suggest.

What do you think?

Barry

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:13:05 -0500

Sorry... Donald Eastlake's comments.  Wrong greybeard.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:16:40 +1300

> 1. Change it to "It may have been a mistake".

That would be fine, and perhaps insert another citation of the IAB
extensions RFC.

   Brian

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 12:17:43 -0800

> 3. Replace the sentence with something else that I'm happy to have you suggest.

What is important, for going forward, is to talk about going forward.
What tends to be distracting is criticism of well-intended previous work.

Consequently, I suggest avoiding vocabulary like 'mistake'.

Rather, something like:

     In such cases, the experience can serve to motivate changing to a
lower bar for registration.

would be more helpful.

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 09:24:48 +1300

> lower bar for registration.

Yes, that's much better.

    Brian

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:37:18 -1000

>> lower bar for registration.

I agree.  Done.  Will post a new version tout de suite.

Barry