Subject: IAB Response to the Appeal Regarding RFC 6852 by JFC Morfin

From: IAB Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 11:11:23 -0400

The appeal from Mr. Morfin was received on 8 July 2013; it can be found here:
http://www.iab.org/wp-content/IAB-uploads/2013/07/appeal-morfin-2013-07-08.pdf.

Mr. Morfin's appeal concerns RFC 6852.  While the appeal does not state
any objection to any of the content of RFC 6852, Mr. Morfin wishes that
RFC 6852 included additional principles and a global framework.  In
addition, Mr. Morfin calls for a way for additional organizations to
"sign on" to the expanded principle list and the desired global
framework.

RFC 6852 contains five principles that are strongly supported by five
organizations.  The principles were the result of significant
coordination among these organizations.

Mr. Morfin's preferred remedy has two points.

First, Mr. Morfin calls for publication of a statement or RFC that
expands on RFC 6852, preferably in conjunction with other organizations
and governments.  Mr. Morfin believes that there are currently two
models for the evolution of the Internet.  One is based on the World
Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), and the other is based on the
principles in RFC 6852.  Mr. Morfin would like to see these two merged.

Second, Mr. Morfin calls for the creation of an inter-SDO procedure to
maintain the RFC 6852 principles and allow civil society, governments,
and international organizations to "sign on" to these principles.

The IAB believes that a formal appeal is the wrong mechanism to achieve
these goals.  Appeals are to bring to light and correct errors in
process and/or substance.  Here neither is alleged.  Thus, no action is
needed by the IAB as a formal response to this appeal.  Future
suggestions from the community are welcome through mail to the
IAB <iab at iab.org> or through the RFC publication process.