Subject: NOMCOM 2013-14 Volunteering - 3rd and Final Call for Volunteers

From: NomCom Chair 2013 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 16:40:30 -0700

Hi, everyone,

We are short of our goal of 200 volunteers for the upcoming nomcom.  
Please do volunteer.  Our publicly verifiable random algorithm has fully 
adequate entropy for a flood of volunteers - more names, more names, more 
names, more brains --- er, oops, not yet a zombie.  

The more volunteers we get, the better chance we have of choosing a 
random yet representative cross section of the IETF.  Respond to this 
challenge and strengthen our statistical significance just by hitting 
Reply (but not Reply-All, please).  

Oh, first, please do check the official information:
The IETF nominating committee (nomcom) process for 2013-14 is under way. The 
IETF nomcom appoints folks to fill the open slots on the IAOC, the IAB,
and the IESG. Ten voting members for the nomcom are selected in a verifiably
random way from a pool of volunteers. 

The details of the selection and operation of the nomcom can be found 
in RFCs 3777, 5078, 5633, 5680, and 6859.  Four of those RFCs  (3777, 5633, 
5680 and 6859)  comprise BCP 10. We will also reference RFC 3797.

Volunteers must have attended 3 of the past 5 IETF meetings.  As specified in
RFC 3777, that means three out of the five past meetings up to the time this
email announcement goes out to start the solicitation of volunteers. The five
meetings out of which you must have attended three are IETF 82, 83, 84, 85, 86.

If you qualify, reply to this email and volunteer.  

The list of people and posts whose terms end with the March 2014 IETF
meeting, and thus the positions for which this nomcom is responsible, are
IAOC:
Chris Griffiths

IAB:
Bernard Aboba
Marc Blanchet
Ross Callon
Eliot Lear
Hannes Tschofenig

IESG:
Barry Leiba (Applications)
Brian Haberman (Internet)
Benoit Claise (Operations and Management)
Gonzalo Camarillo (RAI)
Stewart Bryant (Routing)
Sean Turner (Security)
Martin Stiemerling (Transport)

The primary activity for this nomcom will begin in July 2013 and should be
completed in January 2014.  Being a nomcom member will require some time
commitment - there will be interviews with candidates at meetings, regularly
scheduled conference calls to ensure progress, collection and review of 
requirements from the commitment, review of candidate questionnaires and
of community feedback.  A more detailed timetable for the nomcom tasks
will appear soon.

Please respond to this email before 23:59 EDT (UTC -4 hours) 
July 04, 2013.  In the body include: 
 1. your Given Name as you enter it when you register for the IETF
 2. your Family Name as you enter it when you register for the IETF
 3. your current primary affilation (the information you enter into the Company field)
 4. any/all email addresses you've used to register for IETF meetings 
 5. which email address you prefer 
 6. your phone number (for our use in confirming you if selected).

On July 05, 2013 there will be an announcement of validated volunteers.  If you 
haven't received an acknowledgement message from me to your email 
(indicating that you are or are not eligible) and you do not see your name 
in the July 05 list, contact me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, on or before July 06.  

Looking forward to adding your name to the "hat" very soon,

Allison 

Allison Mankin
Nomcom Chair 2013-2014

---

From: "O'Reirdan, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 00:49:29 +0000

Michael O'Reirdan
Attended 84, 85, 86
Comcast
[email-masked]
Use above address please
703-981-8895 or 856-433-0047

Sent from my iPhone

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 12:59:34 -0400

Hi,

> Reply (but not Reply-All, please).

The "goal" of 200 volunteers seems totally arbitrary to me. I
understand that there is a wide range of opinions here, but I do not
believe that the noncom is intended to be or should be a
"representative" sample from those who just barely qualify as eligible
to be volunteers under the current rules.

Why is the "quality" of volunteers ignored in comparison with the
quantity? No doubt many will strongly object to my use of "quality"
but by that I mean understanding of the IETF culture and the IETF goal
of benefiting the Internet community and a goodly amount of experience
with IETF processes.

For example, producing RFCs is clearly a large part of the IETF. Let's
assume that, under current conditions, using only recent attendance as
a qualifying criterion, we can get ~200 eligible volunteers but that
adding the additional restriction that volunteers must have been a
front page author/editor of an RFC issued within the past X years for
some X would reduce the number of eligible volunteers to ~100. While I
admit there is some volunteer pool size that would be "too small" (40?
opinions will differ), my opinion is that 100 is more than enough and
that such a change, to produce a pool of stronger and better qualified
volunteers, would be an improvement.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 12:34:34 -0700

On 7/2/2013 9:59 AM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> I do not

Most IETF participants have relatively little direct knowledge of IETF 
management and process.  So a larger pool of recent meeting attendees is 
merely likely to get more people without an experiential base for 
judging IETF management candidates.

When the qualification rule was develop for Nomcom, most attendees were 
regulars with broad and deep knowledge of IETF technology and the 
group's operation.  The simplistic rule didn't need to worry about real 
experience; almost everyone attending had it. That changed quite a few 
years ago.

Until we make sure Nomcom's have at least a minimal number of people 
experienced with the workings of IETF process, we will continue to risk 
a Nomcom composed of people having literally no such knowledge.

The risk is actually a certainty, over time, given how statistical 
sampling works, over time.

d/

-- 
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net