Subject: Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials (was: IETF87 Audio Streaming Info)

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 09:07:02 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>

    > no one in IETF have been participating for longer than 30 years

The IETF was a renaming of things that existed before the formal first IETF
(in January, 1986). It's a direct descendant of the first 'TCP Working Group'
meeting, held in Washington DC on March 12, 1977.

And yes, one person who was at that meeting is _still_ participating (he
sent a message to the IETF list on 21 May, 2013; and had an RFC published
this month - RFC 6975).

(And if you consider the Internet work to be connected to the ARPANET - which
in some ways it is, because the RFC series shades slowly from NCP documents to
TCP documents - he goes back a lot further than that: to RFC 1!  Thereby
setting a 'first RFC to last RFC' record that's going to be very hard to beat!
But I digress...)

	Noel

---

From: Steve Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:19:24 -0400

Well, actually, the IETF is a continuation of the Network Working Group, which formed organically in late 1968.  We're a few days short of the 45 year mark.  The NWG had open meetings, developed the layered architecture and published RFCs.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone