Subject: Re: IETF 87 Registration Suspended

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 00:11:28 -0400 (EDT)

> From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>

    > what's different in Berlin from Paris and Prague and Maastricht.

The Germans have more 'zealous' tax collectors? :-)

	Noel

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 09:22:06 +0100

> The Germans have more 'zealous' tax collectors? :-)
It appears that the goalposts have been moved - the basic change came in
a couple of years ago:
http://www.uktrainingworldwide.com/BB/vat-rules-for-events-and-seminars.html

but the proximal cause may be to do with an update from last September
(and this was instigated in Germany):
See page 159 of
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/key_documents/vat_committee/2012_guidelines-vat-committee-meetings_en.pdf

This is probably ultimately down to the tightening of the inter-country
trading rules after the clampdown on so-called carousel trading.

But with the arcana of VAT rules ... who knows (certainly not me
although I have tangled with a few of them)?

Doubtless clearing this up will require a confrontation of tax lawyer
and VAT officer at dawn in some shady forest glade.

/Elwyn

---

From: "Carlos M. Martinez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:16:09 -0300

Understandable. After all, they need to bail out whole countries on a
regular basis

:)