Subject: Secure Shell UNIX domain socket redirection to Proposed Standard

From: lauri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:03:11 +0200

Good evening,

on GNU/Linux boxes there are many services which use UNIX domain
sockets for inter-process communication. Most of them also support TCP
sockets, but that needs additional code for authentication.

There used to be streamlocal patch which implemented UNIX domain
socket redirection for OpenSSH but now it seems to be dead:
http://www.25thandclement.com/~william/projects/streamlocal.html

Generally I think it would be good idea to have UNIX domain socket
redirection in Secure Shell standard because the difference between
TCP/IP redirection code and the one used for UNIX domain sockets is
minor. The feature would benefit many LTSP deployments and other
installations aswell.

Blogpost related to the lack of UNIX domain socket redirection in
Secure Shell standard can be found here:
http://v6sa.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/gnulinux-based-terminal-servers-with-smartcard-support/

-- 
Lauri Võsandi
tel: +372 53329412
e-mail: [email-masked]
company: Povi Software OÜ (http://www.povi.ee)
blog: http://v6sa.wordpress.com/

---

From: lauri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 01:48:21 +0200

Good evening,

---

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 15:14:02 -0500

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of lauri [[email-masked]]

_______________________________________________

Identifying a problem that would be nice to have solved is easy.  Who will do the work?  Who will write the Internet Draft describing the protocol changes?

Dale

---

From: lauri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:30:39 +0200

Hello,

sorry for double-posting, I thought the first one was filtered by
mailing list program.

> Identifying a problem that would be nice to have solved is easy.  Who will do the work?  Who will write the Internet Draft describing the protocol changes?

Currently I am not sure where to start but if there are some others
interested and willing to help I can do my best :)