Subject: Re: US DoD and IPv6

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 20:05:37 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

    > Just as a general FYI, for those not following this space more closely,
    > industry's position wrt IPv6 has clearly shifted during the last year.
    > ... A year ago, many big operators and companies were still taking a
    > wait-and-see approach to IPv6. Over the last year, we are seeing some
    > major players come to the realization that "we have to do this" and
    > have actually started doing so. This is real deployment, not just
    > playing around. But of course, there is a long road ahead, with more
    > trials and testing before a lot of this can go live in a production
    > setting.

Actually, I really was just asking for a clarification on what the DoD was up
to. But since you bring up IPv6 in general...

We have now heard, over the nearly two decades since IPv6 was picked as 'the
replacement for IPv4', numerous expressions of the form 'IPv6 will succeed
when {X} happens'. The most recent value for {X}, after none of the previous
dozen or two expressions of pious hope proved accuate, is 'when IPv4
addresses run out'.

Well, that's about to happen in just a few months from now.

So what %-age of traffic across major backbones is now IPv6? And how quickly
is that changing?

(On this line, it would be interesting to know what %-age of traffic across
major backbones has, or will, pass through a NAT at some point - as an
interesting counterpoint. But I digress...)

So now I'm curious as to what the _next_ value for {X} we hear is going to
be...

	Noel

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 23:36:20 -0400

>>>>> "Noel" == Noel Chiappa <[email-masked]> writes:
    Noel> So what %-age of traffic across major backbones is now IPv6? 
    Noel> And how quickly is that changing?

>From what I've read, it's about the same size as the IPv4 in 1992,
and it's growing at the same rate it did then.

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.