Subject: Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 08:41:19 -0400 (EDT)

Russ asks

> Just to clarify, do you think that it would be better to document "one
> step" or do you think that the community should not spend time on this
> topic at all?

I think the community should only change its processes with careful deliberation
taking into account the interplay of the different factors

I do not this particular document does this, nor would some other
document that proposes one or 7 steps

I think it is better to not fiddle, even if the current documents
do not paint an accurate picture, I think we need to be serious
when changing our basic rules.

Scott

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:05:11 -0400

Scott, I'm confused about one thing you say:

> taking into account the interplay of the different factors
...
> when changing our basic rules.

You seem to be saying that we have to carefully deliberate, consider
many factors, and be serious if we want to *change* the basic rules...
but that it's OK to *ignore* the basic rules and do whatever we want,
with no deliberation, consideration, or seriousness (this is what
we're doing now).

As I see it, the reason we need to do *something* here -- and I think
Russ's proposal is a good start for it -- is exactly that we're
largely ignoring those basic rules and making up a new system without
serious consideration.

Barry

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:44:38 -0400

> when changing our basic rules.

+1

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:11:55 -0400

I think this is nonsense.

We have been discussing this for over a decade. Time for debate is up. It is
time to make a decision.

If the best argument that can be made in favor of the current situation is
that we need to discuss the situation for a decade or two more then I take
that as an admission that the current situation is indefensible.

If people think that more time is needed for discussion they need to specify
the issues they think need to be discussed.

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Scott O. Bradner <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/