Subject: Re: Meeting Venue Preference Survey

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:24:16 -0700

Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree dot tv> wrote:

> However, "90% of life consists of simply showing up," and that is
> especially true for the IETF; to participate, you have to show up,
> and that requires travel.

I'll have to keep this in mind the next time I feel tempted to
participate in a WG on the belief that mailing-list-only participation
is important to the IETF.  I am neither funded by my company to go on
round-the-world junkets, nor wealthy enough to afford them
out-of-pocket.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 17:42:13 -0400

It depends what you want to do. Technical participation in a working
group by email works pretty well. But if you want to talk in person to
WG chairs of ADs or the IANA or RFC Editor staff or be eligible for
NomCom or have more impact at BoFs, etc., being there is important.
See also RFC 4144.

Donald

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>