Subject: Finding a patent

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:23:36 +0200

I hope that someone can bridge the gap in my understanding between the IETF
databases and those of the USPTO.

Looking, for example, at
http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1339/
I see
Patent, Serial, Publication, Registration, or Application/File number(s):  US
12/708048
but when I go to the USPTO to search, they want a seven digit number for granted
patents.  Rather, this looks like an application number (not a patent number)
but my searches for an application with that number fail as well, incorrect
format.

I can search full text and find US Patent 7593340 but that does not seem to
share any data with the IETF tracker.

(Incidentally, were I able to read Finnish, then there is an excellent database
and I think I could retrieve what I wanted - but I cannot:-(

Help appreciated.

Tom Petch

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:49:00 -0400

This is an application number for a patent application filed between 93 and 97 (that's what the 08 at the beginning indicates).  The USPTO doesn't keep these online prior to 2001 as near as I can tell, but Google has a patent which points to the resultant patent and application.

US 5874938  should be the right patent based on the application number.

Mike

At 12:23 PM 8/17/2010, t.petch wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>Ietf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:54:08 -0700

Go here: http://portal.uspto.gov/external/portal/pair
Enter the two words of the graphics challenge
Of the radio buttons, click on "Application Number" (this is the default)
Copy-paste the application number in the format 99/999999 ...

And you will learn that the application is question is not yet published.

Stephan

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:54:50 -0700

Uh. Yes.
Stephan

On 8.17.2010 10:49 , "Michael StJohns" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is an application number for a patent application filed between 93 and 97
> (that's what the 08 at the beginning indicates).  The USPTO doesn't keep these
> online prior to 2001 as near as I can tell, but Google has a patent which
> points to the resultant patent and application.
>

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:20:10 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephan Wenger" <[email-masked]>
To: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "IETF Discussion" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:54 PM

> And you will learn that the application is question is not yet published.

Indeed I do (but were I to put in 08/.... then I would get a pointing device
patent that is published but that is not the one I am interested in:-)

I was using the patent application full text search and I still cannot make that
work (using APN/ for an application that I know has been published) but
meanwhile, the public PAIR interface will do nicely.

Thanks for that.

Tom Petch