Subject: RIM patents a URN (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:20:05 -0700

I'd like to draw peoples attention to the IPR disclosure

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1213

on

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn

The associated patent seems to be

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=O7qXAAAAEBAJ

Let me point out Mr. Allen is an author of both and a long time  
participant in IETF. Seems the 00 draft was from Oct 2006, the patent  
filed Jun 2005, and it seems we are just getting the IPR disclosure now.

Given there are many ways to solve this sort of problem, and many of  
them are less likely to be IPR encumbered, I'd consider the  
possibility that the IESG should send this to the DISPATCH WG to see  
if they want to work on finding an appropriate solution to it. What do  
other people think the IESG should do with this draft?

Cullen

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:16:41 +0900

> filed Jun 2005, and it seems we are just getting the IPR disclosure now.
I didn't have the time to study the patent/IPR disclosure yet. but ...
> other people think the IESG should do with this draft? 
Speaking as an individual participant: I would like for something like 
this to be standardized. Using DISPATCH WG what to do here seems like a 
fine idea.