Subject: Re: LLMNR news you can lose

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:47:13 -0700 (PDT)

On returning from vacation, I notice that people have been busy on the
IETF discussion list. 

In case anyone is interested, here is some information relating to various 
assertions made on the list. 

Now back the regularly schedule flamewar :)

1. "LLMNR has never been implemented"

Microsoft has shipped LLMNR support in Windows CE 4.1 and 5.0.  More 
information is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0304.mspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecomm5/html/wce50conhostnameresolutionfordualstackipv4ipv6.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wceintro5/html/wce50conMacallanReleaseNotes.asp

There is also an independent implementation from ETRI, documented here:
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~jjeong/publications/international-conference/icact2004-jaehoon.pdf

2. "Microsoft has abandoned LLMNR"

Microsoft has made public announcements relating to LLMNR support in 
Vista, and those plans have not changed.  For example, see the following 
discussion of LLMNR usage scenarios in IPv6 networks:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/IPv6_IGD.mspx

3. "LLMNR requires queries to be sent for all names"

LLMNR provides a mechanism, not a policy.  LLMNR-43 Section 2 states:

   While these conditions are necessary for sending an LLMNR query, they
   are not sufficient.  While an LLMNR sender MAY send a query for any
   name, it also MAY impose additional conditions on sending LLMNR
   queries.  For example, a sender configured with a DNS server MAY send
   LLMNR queries only for unqualified names and for fully qualified
   domain names within configured zones.

4. "LLMNR will cause DNS queries to be sent for single-label names"

Today the Windows resolver does not send DNS queries for single-label 
names (e.g. "fridge", "tv", etc.), although a NetBIOS query may be sent. 
With LLMNR this will not change; no DNS query should be made in this case, 
only an LLMNR query. 

5. "The Windows implementation of LLMNR is causing queries to .local"

It is more likely that the queries are being sent by deployments of 
Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS) configured to use the .local domain.
Existing SBS deployments do not support LLMNR. 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: David Hopwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:17:03 +0100

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> Microsoft has shipped LLMNR support in Windows CE 4.1 and 5.0.

But doesn't that just make it even more odd that they haven't shipped it
for XP? (Given that the API of CE is approximately a subset of that of XP,
so presumably, substantially the same implementation would work, perhaps
with minor changes.)

-- 
David Hopwood <[email-masked]>