Subject: Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:33:57 -0700 (PDT)

*> 
  *> X.400 tried that. So did X.25.
  *> 
  *> I think one of the less-appreciated reasons the Internet succeedd was that 
  *> its unique identifiers were *memorable*.
  *> 
  *> 
  *>                         Harald
  *> 
  *> 

And unlike X.500, the DNS was *conceptually SIMPLE*.

Historical note: in the early/mid 1980s, the IAB and its US government
funders were very concerned with the name lookup problem.  They
realized that the DNS was designed for host name lookup.  The
government tasked the IAB with developing a "yellow pages" service to
complement the "white pages" of the DNS.  But this effort got wrapped
entirely around the complexity of X.500, a top-down standard with
little/no running code, and died.  This will all be found in early IAB
meeting minutes.

Bob Braden

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf