Subject: p2p dns (was: Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

From: "Johan Henriksson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:25:09 +0200 (CEST)

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 08:45:29AM +0200,
>  Johan Henriksson <[email-masked]> wrote
>  a message of 25 lines which said:
>
>> a peer 2 peer replacement for DNS tops my internet wish list;
>
> Is it a formal call to a new WG? Please provide a candidate charter :-)
I'd subscribe immediately :-)

is there an interest? I don't have much experience of IETF, much less in
taking care of a wg. but if more people would want to work on such a
thing, I could look into how to start up such an endeavor.

(although I doubt it would grow into a "substitute" in the end; rather a
complement)

- Johan Henriksson

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:21:40 +0100

Johan: I imagine you have seen this paper on the subject of a p2p DNS 
substitute based on CHORD, but it is interesting reading for others.
http://www.cs.rice.edu/Conferences/IPTPS02/178.pdf

Regards,
Elwyn Davies

---

From: Steve Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:40:18 -0400

I believe the system described in the cited paper does exactly the  
reverse of what's being discussed here.  CHORD and its relatives  
provide an alternative way of serving the data, but the hierarchical  
structure of domain names remains the same.  If I understand the  
intent of this thread, the desire is to create a P2P naming system,  
similar to a web of trust, that does not require a hierarchical  
naming system and the administrative machinery needed to maintain  
that naming system.  That is, I thought the thrust of this thread is  
how to create an alternative to the IANA, not how to how to create an  
alternative to the root servers.

Steve

Steve Crocker
[email-masked]

On Sep 30, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Elwyn Davies wrote:

> Johan: I imagine you have seen this paper on the subject of a p2p  
> DNS substitute based on CHORD, but it is interesting reading for  
> others.