Subject: RE: [Isms] ISMS charter broken- onus should be on WG to fix it

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:46:54 -0400

Juergen Quittek writes...

> It [call home] looks like a good topic for a BoF session in the 
> OaM area.
> There we could find out the relevance of the problem and discuss
> requirements for potential solutions.  Also there we can identify
> which working group would be the right one to deal with the issue.
> 
> But until then, I propose that we let the ISMS group work on solving
> its original problem.

I agree that specifying Call Home functionality in SNMP should be out of
scope for ISMS, which is attempting to solve a different, well-defined
problem.

I also agree with Dave Harrington's suggestion that the SSH transport
mechanism for ISMS should be designed such that the initiation and
termination of SSH sessions, and the use of such sessions by the command
generator and command responder, would not preclude another WG from
specifying Call Home functionality using the ISMS work, unless that
requirement overly complicated the ISMS design work.  I would call this
division of labor an appropriate "separation of concerns". 

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf