Subject: IETF64 hotel already full?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:25:56 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

At least for me (5-11.11) The Westin Bayshore Resort and Marina web 
reservation says that no rooms are available through the direct 
reservation link, no matter the preferences.  There have been problems 
with the web registrations in the past so, .. does anyone have raports 
to the countrary?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:01:34 +0300

Just had nearly the same experience. Interestingly,
if you book through phone then there IS space but
at a higher rate. I got IETF rate only until the 10th,
but thereafter it was $265.

(Registrations in the web appear to work too, if
you depart on the 10th or earlier.)

--Jari

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:06:58 +0300 (EEST)

Adding the administrative director (regarding meeting planning) to 
Cc:, maybe there is an explanation or a fix..

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Jari Arkko wrote:
>> reservation says that no rooms are available through the direct reservation 
>> link, no matter the preferences. There have been problems with the web 
>> registrations in the past so, .. does anyone have raports to the countrary?
>

This smells like a problem.. the reservation slots are specifically 
required to go until the 11th unless I'm mistaken..

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 06:45:11 -0400

On the day the hotels came up at IETF.org,
I got a room at the IETF rate, but I had to call.

Regards
Marshall

On Sep 9, 2005, at 5:01 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

>> with the web registrations in the past so, .. does anyone have 
>> raports to the countrary?
>>
>
>

T.M. Eubanks
e-mail : [email-masked]

                                  Regards
                                  Marshall Eubanks

T.M. Eubanks
e-mail : [email-masked]
http://www.multicasttech.com

Test your network for multicast :
http://www.multicasttech.com/mt/

Our New Video Service is in Beta testing
http://www.americafree.tv

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:50:34 +0300

> required to go until the 11th unless I'm mistaken..

This may or may not be a problem. It could be that we just
have used the reserved block and we have no right for lower rate
beyond that. In any case, I already sent an e-mail asking
about this to the person who is responsible for the IETF
block at the hotel (her address is on the reservation
page).

--Jari

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 07:09:47 -0400

> block at the hotel (her address is on the reservation

When I talked to them they specifically said that the
IETF address  block was available until later, I believe until the 
15th. I
remember because I briefly entertained the idea of staying the weekend.

They must have set aside fewer rooms after the end of the meeting.

Marshall

---

From: Rob Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:34:55 +0100

> They must have set aside fewer rooms after the end of the meeting.

I'm pretty sure that is the case.  Last week I tried to book (via the
Internet) from the 5th until the 12th, but there were no rooms
available on the Friday night.  When I emailed the contact at the
hotel, she said she'd just added some more rooms to the block, but it
still didn't work for me (it all worked if I was to leave on the
11th).  I ended up booking the Marriott Pinnacle. :)

Cheers,
Rob

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:00:21 +0300 (EEST)

> 11th).  I ended up booking the Marriott Pinnacle. :)

I'm sure the room block the hotel has for friday-saturday night is 
indeed much smaller, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that run out.

What puzzled me on the other hand why the room block size up to 
thursday and up to friday (10th and 11th) seemed to be different. 
Friday morning is supposed to be a real IETF day now..

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:29:15 +0200

I just booked saturday-friday checkout at the first hotel, over the
phone, 2 rooms, for ietf, 160CAD excluding taxes.

>From past experience hotel web registration is unreliable, better call in.

Alex

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:45:07 +0300

Here's an update. This is what Amy Blackstock,
Reservation Agent at The Westin Bayshore Resort
and Marina told me:

My apologies for the confusion about the rates but
the group is sold for Nov. 11 & 13th so the higher
rates apply to these days.

(This probably means that you'll have to call,
not use the web registration.)

--Jari

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:49:28 +0300 (EEST)

> phone, 2 rooms, for ietf, 160CAD excluding taxes.

Update: I booked sat-fri (5-11) from the web just now, so someone has 
probably done something.  Not sure how long those last of course..

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 10:25:50 +0200

--On 9. september 2005 19:00 +0300 Pekka Savola <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm sure the room block the hotel has for friday-saturday night is indeed
> much smaller, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that run out.
>
> What puzzled me on the other hand why the room block size up to thursday
> and up to friday (10th and 11th) seemed to be different. Friday morning
> is supposed to be a real IETF day now..

fwiw, last time I saw these numbers (some time ago), they were different 
for ALL the days - with a rather high peak on Wednesday.
The numbers are based on what people have done in the past, not the 
principles.... I guess more people staying until Friday is a recent 
development (and a Good Thing).

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:36:48 -0400

On Saturday, September 10, 2005 10:25:50 +0200 Harald Tveit Alvestrand 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> The numbers are based on what people have done in the past

As they should be.

For what it's worth, I've always found the most effective strategy to be to 
check the IETF web site frequently and make hotel reservations as soon as 
the data is available.  I know in the past I've made reservations on Monday 
afternoon, then found someone who couldn't get them as early as Monday 
evening or Tuesday morning.  So, this is not a new phenomenon, just the 
return of an old one.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA