Subject: Re: Note Well

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:43:37 -0400

This message came out a couple of weeks ago to all WG mailing lists, 
clarifying intellectual property rights and grants pertaining to statements 
relating to IETF activities.

Was it a response to some new or existing issue or situation? I'm just 
curious. At a guess, I would imagine that someone passed a private comment in 
a hallway that was later used by someone else in a public forum. I'm trying to 
parse the statement to understand where the emphasis should be: on the public 
nature of IETF activities, or on the private nature of personal conversations.

thanks in advance

-pl

> 				NOTE WELL
> 
> All statements related to the activities of the IETF and addressed to
> the IETF are subject to all provisions of Section 10 of RFC 2026, which
> grants to the IETF and its participants certain licenses and rights in
> such statements....

-- 

+-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Pete Loshin             http://www.loshin.com               |
| [email-masked]         +1 781/646-6318                     |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 19:53:24 +0200

It was a response to someone claiming that the old NOTE WELL did not cover 
messages sent to mailing lists, in response to which someone else claimed 
that the old NOTE WELL was unreadable because it was written in lawyerese, 
not English.

The events were a month or two before the NOTE WELL come to the POISSON 
list - rewriting takes time.

                  Harald

--On 2. august 2001 10:43 -0400 [email-masked] wrote:

> clarifying intellectual property rights and grants pertaining to
> statements  relating to IETF activities.
>
> curious. At a guess, I would imagine that someone passed a private
> comment in  a hallway that was later used by someone else in a public
> forum. I'm trying to  parse the statement to understand where the
> emphasis should be: on the public  nature of IETF activities, or on the
> private nature of personal conversations.
>