Subject: About the London plenary meeting

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 19:58:38 +0200

As you can see from http://www.ietf.org/meetings/Agenda_51.html, the 
plenary agenda this time does not contain a heavy dose of presentations.

This is intentional.

The plenary's intent is to give a chance for the whole IETF community to 
communicate. Not only for the leadership to tell the community what 
happened and what is important, but for the community to tell the 
leadership what its concerns are, what the IETF is doing right, and what it 
is doing wrong.

At recent IETFs, the plenary session's "open mike" time has often been 
short - either because nobody had any issues to raise or because the time 
was so late that most of the community felt like leaving the room.

This time, we are trying to make sure there is time available for the 
questions you want to raise. And we are warning you ahead of time that we 
will make it available.

Some matters (like hotel thermostats and cookie counts) belong in email to 
the secretariat. Other matters (like US wiretap rules) belong in larger 
forums than the IETF. But we believe there are matters where the IETF 
community needs to talk.
Openness is the way we work. If we all don't speak, nobody will hear what 
we have to say.

If you have a topic you want to raise, and feel like it, you might want to 
send me ([email-masked]) an email about it - we might be able to give you 
better answers, or a more sensible dialogue, with some time to prepare. Or 
buttonhole a colored-dot person in the hallway and talk to him or her about 
it for a while.

But it is your choice. The mike is open.

               Harald Alvestrand
                 IETF Chair

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:00:26 +0100 (BST)

> plenary agenda this time does not contain a heavy dose of presentations.

apart from the 'Area 51' interplanetary internet architecture stuff,
natch.

Oh, the url you cited is really:
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/agenda_51.html

btw; the Apache server is case-sensitive, and could probably do with
having mod_speling installed to catch these things (mod_speling could
also autoredirect http requests for expired internet-drafts to a later
version, as it catches single-char differences. I see that a request
to
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts
doesn't redirect to
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
which strikes me as unusual/broken.)

L.

we now return to discussing list, rather than web, administration.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>