Subject: Help formatting RFCs

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 23:32:28 -0400

I wasn't sure where to send this so I hope this is the right place.

I'm trying to format an ID using the perl script provided by ISI.  I
have the ID formatted properly with the right nroff commands (.pl
10.0.i, .ll 7.2i, etc.), but when I run it with the perl script all
pages after the first page are only 56 lines long vice 58 and a newline
is inserted between the page break and the header.  Like so:

last visible line on page i
        ^L
linebreak
first visible line on page i+1

Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?  The perl script is as
follows:

$* = 1;                                 # Enable multiline patterns.
undef $/;                               # Read whole files in a single
                                        # gulp.

while (<>) {                            # Read the entire input file.
    s/FORMFEED(\[Page\s+\d+\])\s+/        \1\n\f\n/g;
                                        # Rewrite the end-of-pages.
#    s/\f\n$/\f/;                       # Want bare formfeed at end?
    s/\f\n$//;                         # Want no formfeed at end?
    print;                              # Print the resultant file.
}

Also does anyone know how to keep lines from breaking over a page break?
Specifically for headings that you want to keep with the text.

Any help would be appreciated,

spt