Subject: Re: What direction is the IETF heading ? That of Censorship

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 10:18:38 -0500

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that you are not concerned about
encoding a serial number in IPv6 packets which is tied to the person's
NIC card ?

....and, you do not think that is a technical issue...?

Jim Fleming

@@@@ http://www.apnic.net/drafts/ipv6/ipv6-policy-280599.html#4.2

"Because all interface IDs are required to be in the EUI-64 format (as
specified in RFC 2373 and RFC 2374) the boundary between the network and
host portions is "hard" and ID address space cannot be further sub-divided."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

GUIDELINES FOR 64-BIT GLOBAL IDENTIFIER (EUI-64) REGISTRATION AUTHORITY
General The IEEE defined 64-bit global identifier (EUI-64) is assigned by a
manufacturer that has been assigned a company_id value by the IEEE
Registration Authority. The 64..
--http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/EUI64.html

Testbed Addressing TOP LEVEL AGGREGATOR Test pTLA Viagénie NLA prefix
remainder of NLA SLA Interface eui-64 3F FE 0B xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
xx xx xx NEXT LEVEL ADDRESS - RANs Regional Advanced Network pTLA sTLA CLA
NLA NATIONAL BACKBONE 3F..
--http://www.6pop.canet2.net/connections.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan del Villar <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jeff Williams <[email-masked]>; Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>; Jim
Fleming <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Sue Leader
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; Roeland M.J. Meyer <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; Michael Sondow <[email-masked]>; Milton Mueller
<[email-masked]>; Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Karl Auerbach
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Jonathan Zittrain
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Jim
Bound <[email-masked]>; Jay Fenello <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Gordon Cook
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Gene Marsh
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Esther Dyson
<[email-masked]>; Ellen Rony <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; Cyndi Jung
<[email-masked]>; Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>; Ben Edelman
<[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>; A.M.Rutkowski <[email-masked]>; U.S. Secretary of
State <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
<[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, June 07, 1999 9:21 AM
Subject: RE: What direction is the IETF heading ? That of Censorship

>People:
>
>STOP !!!!
>
>I've had enough of this !!!!
>
>This is a technical forum.  I would not blame anybody out there if he/she
>wants
>to unsubscribe to this mailing list.
>
>You are wasting people's time with this kind of information.  If you want
>to discuss
>this kind of issues, take them off the IETF mailing list and to an
>individual level.
>
>The IETF is for technical issues dealing with the industry, NOT personal
>believes.
>
>
>Juan Del Villar
>Software Engineer
>Tekelec
>
>

---

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:40:38 -0700

Jim,

That's a red-herring. It is already done for IPv4 and the MAC address is
required to do ethernet-based LANs. Unless you want to force a
replacement of all the NICs in the world, that is  not going to change.

> From: Jim Fleming [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, June 07, 1999 8:19 AM
>

---

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 08:40:38 -0700

Jim,