Subject: call for BCP: draft-simpson-des-as-01.txt

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:16:36 -0400

A year ago, after the success of "Deep Crack", several of us (the old authors
of DES transforms) called for moving DES to Historic.  Scott Bradner graciously
helped me write up an Applicability Statement.

Unfortunately, the IESG has never acted upon our request for a BCP Last Call.

Since then, another big crack, and some more IETF meetings where more members
straw polled to replace single DES with triple DES as mandatory to implement.

Now, I personally think that DESX (see DES-XEX3 draft) would be a good choice.
Faster, simpler to add into existing code, not vulnerable to Deep Crack.

And Scott tells me that we really haven't had enough discussion to decide a
specific mandatory to implement document.

But this new draft reflects the result of the straw poll.  (Another instance
where I've responded to vox populi).

We'd like to see the IETF as a whole decide quickly on a mandatory to implement
transform!  I have had 3DES and DESX drafts awaiting IESG approval for some
years now.  That is a subject of an upcoming appeal to the IAB.

Please have a Last Call on this BCP, and a lively discussion at Oslo.

[email-masked]
    Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32

---

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:16:36 -0400

[email-masked]