Subject: Re: Ralph Nader takes ICANN to task

From: TIM LEE <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jun 99 16:11:07 MDT

>Peter Dawson wrote:
> >
> > FYI only ..
> > Ralph Nader takes ICANN to task..
> > <
> > http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C37730%2C00.html?dd.ne.htmldisp.hl.ne
>
>And Esther Dyson replies with what's really going on...
>
>http://www.icann.org/chairman-response.htm
>
>Bob

Too bad Esther Dyson doesn't know what's really going on...

In her response to Nader she wrote:

>As a longtime champion of individual rights and against 
>monopolies, you hold common cause with us. 

In one sentence she manages to make three spectacular errors:

1. Nader is not and has never been a champion of individual
   rights.  He is a champion of collective rights and the
   pressure group warfare that it fosters and the political
   power that he reaps as a consequence.

2. To be pro-individual rights and anti-monopoly is a 
   contradiction in terms.  Individual rights entail the
   right form a monopoly if you can, but not to maintain 
   it through government force.  Part of being free means
   that every individual holds a monopoly on the services
   that they offer to the market.  So ultimately to be anti-
   monopoly means to be pro-slavery in one form or another.

3. In fact Nader doesn't have common cause with ICANN because 
   at the root he's an advocate of the anti-industrial 
   revolution.  He's a nihilist who hates productive achievement. 
   He's not a "producer advocate", he's a "consumer advocate" 
   and what he wants to consume is the Internet.

I'm not looking to start a debate here, just pointing out a few 
items of possible interest to Internet professionals.

Tim Lee

____________________________________________________________________
Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:48:28 -0400

>    monopoly means to be pro-slavery in one form or another.

The issue here is that NSI was a Government created monopoly,
maintained by Government generated force. ICANN is attempting to
dismantle this monopoly. NSI is cynically using distraction and
lobbying techniques to attempt to extend its Government granted
monopoly forever if possible, and certainly as long as possible.

However, could we please not talk about this here? Its not really a
valid IETF topic any longer.

Perry

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:48:28 -0400

Perry

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:48:28 -0400

Perry

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:48:28 -0400

Perry