Subject: Re: Ralph Nader takes ICANN to task

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:20:45 +0100

At 07:03 15/06/99 +0400, Peter Dawson wrote:
>FYI only ..
>Ralph Nader takes ICANN to task..

As there seems to be some degree of misinformation about this topic, I'd
like to pose a couple of questions arising from the indicated article:

Ralph Nader asks:
>                   "And will ICANN use its control over root name servers
>                   to block access to any IP address or domain name for
>                   any reason? "

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that it's possible to block access
to an IP address through control of root name servers.  Am I missing
something?

>     He also pointed out that ICANN is "not accountable to the government,"
>     a point that has been raised by many in the domain space. 

Which government might this be?  My understanding is that the intention was
for ICANN and other Internet administrative bodies to be supranational.

#g

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Graham Klyne wrote:

> Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that it's possible to block
> access to an IP address through control of root name servers.  Am I
> missing something? 

It is possible to prevent reverse address lookup (i.e. INADDR.ARPA or
IP6.INT) from working via control of the root name servers.  This is
probably to what he was refering.

I eagerly await Ralph's new book, _The Internet: Unsafe at Any Speed_.  :)

--
Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Software Engineer
American Registry for Internet Numbers

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:22:19 +0000

> for ICANN and other Internet administrative bodies to be supranational.

Nader probably wants it to be responsible to the US government, at least for
the effects it has in the US.  (Yes, I am aware that disentangling the effects
in the US from the effects outside the US is impossible--and probably so is
he.)

On the other hand, Nader may not be starting a campaign yet.  The news.com
headline makes it sound like he's attacking ICANN, but if you read closely it
sounds like he's just trying to get information so he can decide he needs to
worry.

--
/=============================================================\
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |
[email-masked]|============================================|
|Chief Scientist | NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed |
|eCal Corp.      |  by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch |
\=============================================================/

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:22:19 +0000

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:47:06 -0400

> sounds like he's just trying to get information so he can decide he needs to

fwiw, the actual letter is at 
http://www.cptech.org/ecom/estherjune11.html

seems somewhat divergent from the press account...

Keith

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:47:06 -0400

Keith

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:52:02 -0400

>I eagerly await Ralph's new book, _The Internet: Unsafe at Any Speed_.  :)
Having owned (or rather my father) a '60 Corvair; I never trusted Nader.

Yeah it took special care, handled differently than anything else on the
road, the gas heater would backfire regularly, but it was a dream to handle.  

I loved to doughnut it on wet roads....

	(Stupid teenager  :)

My dad finally sold it in '68 after I left for college.  The new owner
totalled it a month later in a highway accident.

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:52:02 -0400

(Stupid teenager  :)

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:03:56 -0400

I am in the market for another Roamabout or equivalent card.

The old standard seems to have been discontinued for the 802.11, so I am
seeing if I can get one more old card for less than 2 new cards (note:  the
new stuff is about 1/2 price of old).

So I am looking for the PCMCIA card with a 2.4Gh antenna.  For the
Roamabout these are parts:

DEINA and DEIWB

I will accept equivalent cards from other companies (like the Lucent card).

Email me directly. 

Robert Moskowitz

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:03:56 -0400

DEINA and DEIWB

Email me directly. 

Robert Moskowitz

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:52:02 -0400

(Stupid teenager  :)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:52:02 -0400

(Stupid teenager  :)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:03:56 -0400

DEINA and DEIWB

Email me directly. 

Robert Moskowitz

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 02:03:56 -0400

DEINA and DEIWB

Email me directly. 

Robert Moskowitz

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:35:51 -0700

I am also looking for a PCMCIA card (as well as base unit) for a 
2.4 Gh antenna. It's pretty hard to find places that sell either
of these.

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:35:51 -0700

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:35:51 -0700

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:35:51 -0700