Subject: Senator Alstons Itinery (fwd)

From: Bob Allisat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 10:29:03 -0400 (EDT)

Someone should raise some hell for Ausie over their
 recent censorship madness in regards to the Internet.
 Their chief censor will be in the US today and the
 rest of the week. How about pissing on their parade?

__________
Financial Delegation US visit program
Senator The Hon. Richard Alston
Australian Minister for Communications, The Information
Economy and The Arts and Deputy Leader of the Government
in the Senate Tuesday June 1 - Friday June 4, 1999
San Francisco Bay Area

Tuesday June 1

4.00pm
Mission Briefing Session at Hyatt Rickeys Hotel, 4219 El Camino Real

5.00pm
Depart Hotel

5.30pm
Invitation-only welcome reception, with speakers, hosted by the 
Churchill Club (the pre-eminent Silicon Valley Public Affairs
forum www.churchillclub.com), at the Quadrus Conference Center
2420 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park

8.00pm
Travel back to hotel

Wednesday June 2
9.00am
Depart hotel

9.30am
Presentation by Rob Ayling partners of Gray Cary Ware and Freidenrich,
law firm that specialises in issues relating to IPOs, raising VC,
international tax law, migration of IP etc (www.gcwf.com) 400 Hamilton
Avenue, Palo Alto.

12.00pm
Lunch hosted by Ken Wilcox, President, Silicon Valley Bank (the bank
of choice of US VCs) (www.svbank.com) 3003 Tasman Drive, Palo Alto

2.00pm
Meeting with Bill Reichert MD of Garage.com.  Garage.com are leading
the industry in providing an online forum for would-be entrepreneurs
to seek advice from investment professionals and pitch/gain access 
to Venture Capital (www.garage.com) 420 Florence Avenue Suite 300,
Palo Alto

3.30pm
Presentation by Elton Sherwin, author of "The Silicon Valley Way"
and Managing Partner of Motorola Ventures on critical success 
factors and policies for successful Venture investing 
(www.lexicus.mot.com) Hyatt Rickeys 4219 El Camino Real, Palo Alto

5.00pm
Personal time at hotel

5.30pm
Depart hotel

6.00pm
Presentation and reception/dinner with invited audience, hosted by
Prof George Foster and the University Faculty Club.  Speakers include
Anthony Alles, a Perth born entrepreneur who recently sold his 
18 month old Shasta Corp to Nortel for USD340m (www.shastanets.com)
and Peter Wendell, Partner with Sierra Ventures (www.sierraven.com)
a Sand Hill Road VC firm.  Stanford Faculty Club, Stanford.

9.30pm
Travel back to hotel

Thursday June 3
7.15am
Depart Hotel

8.30am
Meeting with Red Herring for overview by the Editor of Herring Online,
Mr Rafe Needleman, on the US/Silicon Valley Venture Capital industry,
drivers, engine of growth, international perspective, the IPO process,
the roles of funds managers in supporting US VC funds and how the 
internet is creating the new Microsoft (www.redherring.com).
The Commonwealth Club, 575 Market Street, San Francisco.  (A Red
Herring journalist may also be present).

10.30am
Meeting with David Best of W.R. Hambrecht (formed by Bill Hambrecht of
Hambrecht and Quist) which replaces traditional sharemarket listings
with Dutch auctions over the Internet, promising to raise funds for
companies and dodge the pitfalls of the usual investment process.
(www.wrhambrecht.com).  The Commonwealth Club, 575 Market Street,
San Francisco.

12.30pm
Luncheon with select audience of San Francisco based private equity 
fund managers, gate keepers and their advisors to discuss their
philosophy to investment in technology.
The Carnelian Room at the Bankers Club, 52nd floor, Bank of America
Building, 555 California Street, San Francisco

2.45pm
Presentation by BancBoston Robertson Stephens on the current and
future environment for technology IPOs, 42nd Floor, Bank of America
Building, 555 California Street, San Francisco

4.00pm
Presentation by John Hsin (Partner) and Lip-Bu Tan (Chairman) of
Walden Investments (www.wiig.com) on their investment philosophy,
international operations and partnering activities, Terrace Room,
Pan Pacific Hotel, 500 Post Street, San Francisco

5.00pm
Presentation by Looksmart CEO Evan Thornley to outline their
history, the nature of their deals with Microsoft et al, their
recent second round $60m financing and their plans for an IPO
(www.looksmart.com)

5.30pm
Reception with senior Australians working in the valley, 
Terrace Room, Pan Pacific Hotel, Post Street, San Francisco

9.00pm
Bus departs Pan Pacific Hotel in SF for return to Hyatt Rickeys
in Palo Alto

Friday June 4
7.00am
Depart hotel

7.30am
Arrive "The Family Farm" in Woodside

7.45am
Investment 2000 function.  This event organised by Investment 2000
and Telstra

2.30pm
Depart for Hyatt Rickeys Hotel

3.00pm
Mission ends.  Participants free for one-on-one appointments etc.
facilitated by Austrade San Francisco if required.  Please make
contact with Peter Lewis ([email-masked]) to discuss
issue further if required.