Subject: Diff-serv PHB identifiers

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:48:08 -0400

In the context of diff-serv, there are situations in which it is useful
to be able to communicate a particular desired *behavior*, not just a
diff-serv codepoint.  For example in inter-domain AAA communications.
Brian Carpenter and I put together a draft, draft-brim-phb-id-00.txt,
with a suggested format.  We'd like to see this standardized.

This potentially touches a lot of groups.  NHRP may need to indicate a
desired PHB and get back a DSCP to use in a shortcut.  BGP and RSVP may
carry behavior identifiers for inter-BB communication, and it may be
convenient to have RSVP support them for the edge-of-diff-serv case as
well.  LiWen started talking about carrying PHBs at the last MPLS
meeting.  There may even be interactions with RAP, Radius & NAT.
Probably more that I haven't thought of.

We should only talk about it once, and there's been general agreement
that it should be in the diff-serv WG.  So this is a heads-up that this
draft will be discussed at the diffserv WG meeting in Oslo (Monday,
1530), and that e-mail discussion of it before then will be on the
diffserv-interest list.

...Scott
--
Scott Brim  <[email-masked]>  +1.607.273.5472  +1.607.280.4000