Subject: Interesting article about ICANN in NY Times

From: "Ron Lautmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 01:47:08 -0700

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/06/biztech/articles/07ican.html

---

From: Kent Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 07:50:15 -0700

> http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/06/biztech/articles/07ican.html

A bit shallow, however.  Eg:

"Whatever its origins, the interim board now has nine members --
plus the corporation's temporary president, Michael Rogers."

His name is Mike Roberts...

-- 
Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
[email-masked]                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

---

From: Kent Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 07:50:15 -0700

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:36:20 -0700

>A bit shallow, however.  Eg:

Worse than shallow is Jeri's continuing preference for wild, general 
sensationalism in the opening lines, with only partial clarification 
later.  The track record is that only the opening sensation gets repeated.

Perhaps the best (and worst) graph in the article is:

"Such sentiments are but the latest chapter in yearslong sniping fueled by
international jealousies and myriad conspiracy theories. What is different
now, some observers say, is that the Internet, which is built on a
cooperative technology for routing data around the globe is in less stable
hands -- increasing the risk that angry factions will in effect secede from the
network, damaging its integrity by splitting it into several smaller,
disconnected networks."

It points to the paranoia at work, but then feeds the problem by citing a 
potential that is ALWAYS present and yet has failed to be realized, in 
spite of repeated attempts, particularly co-opting the root.

Also unfortunate is the generic reference to "critics" with no indication 
of who they are or how substantial their base.

d/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:[email-masked]>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:36:20 -0700

d/

---

From: Peter Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:23:51 +0400

Oh , anther bit of interesting reading, which I had read last
week ;

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C37319%2C00.html?dd.ne.htmldisp.hl.ne

/pete

---

From: Peter Dawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:23:51 +0400

/pete