Subject: Cringely on Cisco's Certified Network Engineers

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 20:07:56 +0100 (BST)

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit19990603.html

  Cisco took the [Certified Network Engineer] concept and turned it
  into something like -- don't take this the wrong way please --
  Hitler Youth.

Wow. Quite a neat illustration of the education vs training battle.

L.

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

---

From: Vijay Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:11:12 -0400 (EDT)

> Wow. Quite a neat illustration of the education vs training battle.

What I find surprising is that MORE companies don't take this approach.
Apparently the marketing folks at cisco are far more savvy than other
companies.  They seem to have understood the fact that people tend to buy
what they know, so they are making sure there is a plethora of information
about their products out there, great web page with lots of documentation,
etc.

These high school students will get out there into the marketplace and
guess what routers and switches will they be speccing?

I know when I went to work in the commerical sector, given two equal boxes
(within limits), from say, HP and Sun, I'd pick Sun every time simply
because I maintained Sun's when I was in college.

/vijay

---

From: Vijay Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:11:12 -0400 (EDT)

/vijay